Information in regards to renting/purchasing an instrument:
If you have a family instrument make sure that it is in working condition before your student starts playing! Students with broken instruments often have difficulty getting the sound they want, which results in frustration and ultimately having a bad experience.
Avoid purchasing cheap instruments online. If it costs $40-100 it will sound like $40-100. These instruments break quickly and will only last your student a month or two, instead of a lifetime. Often times if a cheap instruments break they cannot be repaired.
Most instrument dealers will provide an option for insurance/maintenance for your instrument. It is worth it to pay for this. If your student accidentally drops the instrument and it goes to the shop it won’t cost anything extra. We want to keep the student playing a working instrument.
From the Music & Arts site:
Most customers include the Liability Damage Waiver (LDW) with their rental. LDW is a protection plan that covers the costs of repairs to the instrument while you are renting. It also protects you in the event of loss of the instrument due to fire or theft.
5 GREAT reasons to include LDW (Maintenance)!
- Even if the student is careful their classmates may not be. Periodic maintenance and adjustments are required on most instruments.
- Depending on the work that the instrument needs, the cost of the repair can often exceed the cost of a year’s worth of LDW.
- You may cancel the LDW at any time, however it can only be added at the beginning of your rental.
- Homeowner’s insurance does not usually cover the instrument, since you do not own it. Plus, there is NO DEDUCTIBLE with us!
- Unless you include LDW, you will be financially responsible for loss, theft, damage to or destruction of the instrument.